Friday, April 16, 2010

Loving your children

So I'm flipping through channels on the TV today and I see a face that I adore on Rachel Ray. Who is this wonderful guest? The only celebrity that I have ever really had a "celebrity crush" on...Michael J. Fox. Of course, I stopped flipping the channels to watch and I'm so glad I did.

They allowed questions from the audience and a lady asked Michael what he felt the biggest challenge he faced racing teenagers (he has twin 15 year old daughters, not to mention his older son). His reply was wonderful. He said that there were always challenges, but that he would take this moment and share with everyone the greatest lesson about children he has learned.

Paraphrased: "When your child comes to you and asks 'Can you come here for a second?' your reply is always 'Yes'. Without question, without judgement, you just need to be available and present for your children. Always."

Beautiful isn't it? So simple and yet something that is easy to forget. How many times do we tell our kids to hold on (and yes, mine is still little). How easy is it to judge or shame them for what they want to tell you? Obviously, there are moments where you must discipline a child, but the concept of being there for them with whatever they need, without judgement is so true.

I don't know Michael's belief structure, but for me this is exactly how God takes care of His children. He is always there for us, always present, always without judgement. He may "discipline" us to help us grow, but He has the unconditional love for us that we all talk about, but are not always able to give.

I love this concept and it so far is the best parenting advice I have heard. Just thought I would share it with everyone else.

1 comment:

The Bonjour Four said...

I love this! thank you so much for sharing.