Monday, November 05, 2012

Following Romans 14:13

I've written about this topic before, but it is such a prevailing wind in our society that I feel the need to bring it up again.  This particular post is for those who call themselves Christians - a call for each of us to examine our Christian walk and how our personal walk may affect others.

Recently, I chatted with two different individuals who are struggling in their belief structure.  One never had much support or guidance in her walk of faith and the limited exposure she has had was negative.  The other has had parental guidance and encouragement but has been surrounded by peers who live lives that contradict their faith in very negative ways.  For both of these young women, the concept of being a Christian has been severly damaged based on the example of those who claim to be Christians.

We put heavy emphasis on spreading God's love and doing mission work, which I applaud, but when we do not put the same importance of sharing God in our every day life, we are not living up to God's call for our lives.  I am a firm believer in the concept that your life is a constant testimony to God.  I do not know if anyone has been saved just by watching the actions of a Christian, but I do know (personally) many who have turned completely away from God based on the actions of Christians. 

Although there is always that fine line where individuals have to determine what to take in and what not to pay attention to (i.e., "well the Christian hurt my feelings so I won't believe" is a personal choice), those of us who do purposefully call ourselves Christians must consider how our walk may affect others - particularly when it is blantant, hurtful behaviors - even more so when those hurtful behaviors are done "in the name of Christ." 

I believe in Jesus Christ.  I believe that He was the only sinless individual this world has ever seen.  I believe that He willingly sacrificed Himself as a sinless person to cover my sins (which are many - both public and private).  I believe that I must admit my sinful nature and my specific sins to God and accept that He made this sacrifice.  I believe that in so doing this, I will not be granted a perfect, pain-free life but that I will have His love, grace, and mercy to support me through the dark and rough times.  I believe it is important to share experiences with other Christians and non-Christians as appropriate to support each other and be the body of Christ.

I am a sinner.  Although there are some people in my life have labeled me as "the one who always does everything right," I know that that is just a label and I have had (and will continue to have) my fair share of sinful acts and various struggles in life.  Some of these have played out publically.  Some have merciously played out on a more private scale.  There are things in life that I feel personally convicted to cut out.  There are somethings that are not hinderances in my faith and I have not (at least at this point) felt convicted to remove them.  I watch R-rated movies - Gasp!.  I occasionally drink alcohol - Double Gasp!.  I listen to music other than just Christian - Oh, say it isn't so!.  For me these are not a big deal.  They do not go against any foundational belief in my faith.  I know for some, these types of things may hold a greater significance and they may feel led to behave differently.  These should not be issues that create division.

My focus should be on loving others as God loves me.  Not judging them.  Not condeming them.  Not making them feel like less of a person for not following or walking exactly like I do.  When I hurt another, whether intentionally or not, I need to apologize.  When I am hurt by another, whether intentionally or not, I need to graciously forgive even when it is difficult.  On "paper", these are not difficult concepts.  In everyday life, these are the areas where we cause real and lasting damage. 

Questions I ask myself...
When was the last time I took the time to welcome the visitor at church and really talk to them?  When I see a person on the side of the road asking for money, do I pass judgement whether I give them money or not?   Do I take a minute or even a second and talk to them or just pass some cash over and rush off or roll up my window so I can separate myself from them and their situation?  When I hear a judgemental comment being shared about someone, do I step in and defuse the situation?  When I hear a loved one say, "I just don't know what to think about being a Christian.  I just don't think it's all real" do I ignore it or talk to them to find out why?  When someone tells me they can't believe the Christian life because of how they have been treated by other Chistians, do I open up and share that Christians are full of flaws and we each practice our faith day-by-day, but that the true belief of the Christian faith calls us to be loving and forgiving?

Do I hurt or hinder the Christian faith (or potential Christian faith) of others or do I encourage and help develop that faith?

Lasting thought...one of my all-time favorite songs:


No comments: