Saturday, July 26, 2014

Stop taking it personal

These past few weeks I have been learning to let it go.  Not the Frozen-stays-in-your-mind-for-3-days-"Let It Go" but for real let-it-go lessons.  It is so easy to take the comments (or actions) that people make toward you, about you, about your kids, about your beliefs, etc., personally and I have been extremely guilty of doing just that too many times.

Although it may sting a little when people say things - like constantly comparing all the good things in my children to The Husband and his side of the family, while only contributing the negatives to me - it does absolutely NO good for me to take those comments to heart.  (Yes, this is one of the lessons I've been dealing with and still working on the letting-it-go...hoping that this post will help me release from those frustrations).

The main reason I have been thinking about this issue is from watching and listening to various people I have been around recently.  I am noticing how many of us get caught up in personal feelings when the issue really might not have anything to do with us at all.  Even comments things that technically do relate to your/my personal life aren't usually worth getting upset about because most of the time the comment that is driving you crazy really just stems from some situation in that other person's world.

Think for a minute about the last week.  How many times did you take something personal?  Were those things actually personal attacks or did you just have some knee-jerk reaction to it?  I know for me, the knee-jerk reactions are common.  Now, I am good at masking my hurt/frustration/irritation/whatever most of the time but I allow too many comments or situations to fester under my skin and irk me.  What good is that doing?  Absolutely no good whatsoever.

"Well, duh" you say.  I agree. Duh. It's just that sometimes I need a little verbalization and validation to get my mind to fully LET GO so I share this with whomever may be reading.  Lucky you. So, here I sit, now released and ready to play some LEGOs with The Wee One.  Life is good.


No comments: