Saturday, April 01, 2006

Family Ties

I am sitting here with Brent's family, 6 of us in a hotel room - the other two outside playing catch. This is my weekend to bond with the fam...in reality, I have been a part of the family officially for three years now - unofficially for six, however, I still feel I am distanced sometimes. I think all in-laws feel that way...in some cases, I would say that lasts forever, but I don't think that will be the situation for me. Lucky for me, I am now part of a family that is extremely close and actually enjoys spending time together.

The distance between all of us - litterally and figuartively - keep us all somewhat distracted from what is going on in each of our lives. On one hand, we try to talk often and keep up-to-date on the little details, but being far away makes it hard to really relate to each other. Those of us belonging to the "in-laws club" have an even harder time of it because we don't have the bonds of childhood to hold us together. We have to actually try to create ties with the family, to develop a belonging within the circle that the others already have set up. It is a challenge that is not always easy.

Each of us are bringing our own issues and personalities to the table and expected to automatically get along. While I feel fortuate to be in a club that actually does get along, I have had several friends that have really had to fight for their acceptance among the family.

I don't really know where I was going this particular entry, but overall, I guess I am greatful that I belong to such a wonderful family who is so accepting of others. My experience goes as follows: right after we shared the news of our engagement, one of Brent's aunts (an in-law too) came up and gave me a hug and commented that "the thing I love about this family is that these are not my sisters-in-law or mother-in-law, these are my sisters and my mother." Immediatly, I knew that that was true. Lucky me!

As my husband says, family is the most important thing in the world.

No comments: