Monday, April 03, 2006

Oh Happy Day!

I have been waiting and waiting and my waiting is almost done! I started graduate school this smester, working toward my doctrate in Higher Education (Ed.D. not Ph.D.) and have been praying (very, very hard) for the opportunity to quit my current job and be a full-time student. I worked full-time while getting my master's, and while it obviously can be done, I don't want to do that again! I figure, we don't have children right now and we are already in basically free housing with Brent's graduate position so, if I am ever going to have the chance to not have to work, this is it.

So, what is holding me back from quitting right now? Ah, money...and insurance...and the fact that tuition is not cheap. However, if I can secure a graduate position, my tuition will be fully paid. We would only have to find money for books and fees. That is do-able. In addition to tutition coverage, I would get a stipend - amount depending on the office/job. Without a GA position the options are: (1) workf full-time and go to school, taking FOREVER to graduate or losing my mind or both (2) find a meaningless part-time job, take out CRAZY loans and make due, or (3) not go back to school. I know in life there are always choices, but these are not ones I really want to pick.

Long story short, after much worry that I might not even get an interview, my wonderful husband came home today with an interview schedule from my advisor. I have 5 interviews scheduled for Friday...more praying will take place in anticipation of this. I am excited! I feel fairly confident that I can get one of these - at least I hope.

I love being on a university campus. There is so much life there. While I definately know these jobs can be just a frustrating as any other, there is also a certain sastifaction and personal reward that you gain when working with students. I LOVE it!

Ultimately, is it crazy that something as simple as being handed a piece of paper with 5 interview times on it can bring this much happiness? YIPPEE!

No comments: