Tuesday, September 15, 2009

What great kids!

I have the best niece & nephew in the world! Let me tell you about how wonderful they are.

P-Dawg, who is now 14, is so sweet and caring. He loves my baby girl and will totally give of himself to help out. The first weekend we were home from the hospital, he and his mom came up to help out. We were all so exhausted and at some point we all crashed. The Wee One woke up and P-Dawg immedately got up with her so that we could all sleep. Recently, he came to help us move into our new home. He stayed the week and helped move stuff and take care of The Wee One. He makes her laugh like none other can. She loves him!

M is a senior this year and she totally impressed me the other day. She is a truly caring individual as well, but I feel like this is above and beyond. A student at her high school commited suicide last week. She watched the students in the school and was inspired to start a peer education group. She said the students didn't use the grief counselors that the school brought in, but rather talked to each other in the hallways.

Background....I have been a peer education (or an advisor thereof) for about 9 years. I had talked to M about joining a peer ed group when she goes to college next year because of her caring heart. I love peer education! Peers will totally talk to peers before adults or professionals.

So, M called to ask me some questions about starting a peer ed group at her school. She has it so together. She has found a sponsor, she has students interested in joining, she has thought of all the nuts and bolts before she is going to take it to her principal. Way to go! After working with college students, I can honestly say that that is rare. She is so off to a great start.

Proud aunt - I'm out.

1 comment:

Blah... Blah... Blog! said...

"They learned it from watching you, Prairie! They learned it from watching you!" :)