Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Domesticated

Due to the encouragement of one of my good friends and fellow blogger (The Bonjour Family), I am trying to add pictures to my posts. Check out my delicious banana pudding and The Wee One modeling my awesome apron!
Some of you are my Facebook friends, and therefore might have seen my comment a few weeks back about finally being domesticated. It's really becoming true! As The Husband and I have discussed many times, he knew what he was getting into when he married me. I pretty much don't cook, bake very little, absolutely hate (therefore seldom do) cleaning - in general, my "domestic" skills are lacking.

However, from time-to-time, I jump out of my comfort zone and surprise myself (and usually everyone else). During this year, we have had a mini-baby boom among our friend base. Literally, between January to May, we had 11 friends have babies. That means 11 baby gifts. I don't know if you have been in the market for baby gifts lately, but to get a decent gift you are gonna spend a minimum of $15 and more like $20-25. Fine and dandy in a typical baby year, but when you have this many going on, it just gets crazy! Originally, I had a friend's mother make some changing pads, patterned after one we got for The Wee One. As much as I loved what she did, as more baby announcements and shower invites turned up, I realized I wouldn't be able to afford someone else making them (by the way, she was totally affordable if anyone needs a really cute baby gift).

Therefore, after a wonderful offer by another friend to take her old sewing machine, I decided I could put these gifts together myself and save a little money. After a night of cursing the machine - knowing deep down that it was most likely user-error, I got a little help and actually put together 5 really cute changing pads! I was so stinkin proud of myself!

Looking at the extra material I had on my table, I decided I would try an experiment. I got our apron out of the closet and after examining it, I figured I could put one together for The Wee One. Yes, the person who hasn't really sewn since she was forced to by her mother in jr. high, tried to put an apron together without a pattern.

Guess what?!?! I did it - and it turned out super cute. Cute enough that I put one together for my little niece as well. Now, I openly admit that they are not perfect and I need some time to develop my craft, but nevertheless I DID IT! That same night, I was so inspired that I actually whipped up a batch of banana pudding...from scratch! Yeah, I rock! Wonder how long this will last? Hum....

2 comments:

The Bonjour Four said...

haha you're hilarious. and im sorry i am just now reading all of your posts. I have been so stinkin busy!!

You're so sweet for mentioning me. I'm glad you decided to put some pics up.

And I am SO impressed with your apron. that is too cute!! wow!

And the banana pudding. oh my. I LOVE banana pudding. I wonder if Weight Watchers has a recipe... hm

Prairie said...

Libby! No worries about reading the blog...live gets busy. Just glad you get to read it at all. Are you going to make WT's Homecoming?