Thursday, July 01, 2010

We have a winner!

I recently decided to start making breakfast smoothies again. I started using this recipe when I was pregnant - actually the original recipe is from What to Expect When You Are Expecting. I have adapted it slightly for my tastes and apparently it is a hit with The Wee One as well.

This morning I gave her a small amount in a "big girl" glass and she devoured it. She then begged her daddy to give her some of his. That was gone in a flash. She ended up getting some more out of me and that was the best yet. She got to the bottom of her glass and started making hilarious noises. First she sounded like she was sucking the last bit of a soda from a straw. Then she started making a hyena-like noise - something you might hear from a crack addict looking for a hit. Goodness, I've found smoothie gold!

Here's the recipe if you are interested. This makes about 14-16 ounces (2 glasses).
  • 7-8 frozen strawberries (thaw them in the microwave for about 15 seconds)
  • 1 banana
  • 1/2 an orange
  • 2 heaping tablespoons of vanilla yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon of wheat germ
  • honey for taste (I use about 1-2 teaspoons)
  • orange juice (more or less for desired thickness - I use about 1/2 a cup)
Put it all in the blender and run on high till mixed well. I actually typically keep my fruit in the fridge and this actually helps make the smoothie wonderfully cold.

Give it a try and enjoy!

No comments: