Thursday, September 09, 2010

A divine plan

You know that feeling you get when you know someone totally "gets" you? I hope you do. The Husband and I have been together for a little over 10 years now, but I feel that our paths were truly designed to come together. I don't know that I fully believe in the thought of there being only one person out there for each individual. I mean, what about people who loose a spouse and remarry to have a wonderful marriage? However, I do believe that God is the controller of our destiny and He leads us to the people we need most in our lives. Then it is up to us to be alert enough to actually realize someone great is standing before us.

So, all that said, let me tell you why I really believe that God destined for The Husband and I to be together. Life is full of little moments that could be called coincidences, but when you start to add them all together, you can see that sometimes, it's a little more than a simple coincidence.

As a child/young teen, my family took several mini-vacations to a small, remote town named Leakey, Texas. When I say small, I seriously mean it. The entire area has grown since I was down there as a kid, but even now, we're talking about a place where the nearest Wal-Mart is at least an hour away. It is a beautiful area, and the primary draw is the Frio River. During the summer months, this place is literally crawling with tubers. Even in years when the river is low, it is a blast. Gardner State Park is also down there and it is a great place to visit.

How does this relate to my story? After The Husband and I had been dating about 2 years, he asked if I wanted to join him at his family reunion....in Leakey, Texas. Apparently, the Frio River has been his family reunion destination for years. While they haven't always been in Leakey specifically, they have been in the immediate area. How odd. I mean, if you look this area up on a map, you will see how odd it is that the two of our families would both find this place to vacation. Middle of no-where. Seriously.

Okay, you're thinking, so what? It gets better.


Right before my 16th birthday, Cosmo (my dad) gets a job at Palo Duro Canyon State Park so we move from Austin to Amarillo. Big jump! I adapted and ended up loving that region of the world. When I started dating The Husband (at least once he was deemed good enough to mention to parents), I told Cosmo and Darma about him. Cosmo's response was, "I know that name. He worked at Palo Duro for a while. I'm pretty sure we fired him." Great...that's a wonderful way to start off a relationship with potential future in-laws. Needless to say, they all get along great and it's a nice funny anecdote. However, it is also my number 2 step on my path to destiny.
While I know that a lot of people meet their loved ones in college, but when you think about it, that's a pretty amazing thing. Out of all the colleges/universities in the world and all the people at each one, what are the chances you will meet that one specific person. The Husband and I met during my last year at West Texas A&M University - while I was actually dealing with a failed engagement. It took 6 months, but when we finally went out, I knew there was something truly wonderful about this guy.
Here's my last "coincidence." In high school, I attended a summer camp with some friends. I did not attend their church, but thought it sounded fun so I took off from Texas to Arkansas for a week-long summer church camp. While visiting my brother-in-law and other family this past weekend, I realized that their house is about 5 minutes from the camp. Crazy! What are the freaking odds that my family would end up living down the road from my old summer camp?
I know all of this might seem kind of silly, but it's like our paths were crossed many moons ago and it just took time for us to find each other. All I can say is...God is good!

2 comments:

Paula said...

HE is good ALL the time...even during the heartache of a broken engagement!

The Bonjour Four said...

i couldn't agree more! always a joy to read your posts. :)