Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Simple joys

Have you ever noticed how the smallest things in life can bring you joy? I'm not being sentimental here. When I say smallest things, I really mean it.

Yesterday was "stock the house" day. About every 3 or 4 months, we really have to restock almost everything in our pantry, fridge, freezer, and bathroom. On a month-to-month basis, we do our shopping and replace little items here and there, but it never fails that we seem to run out of a lot of stuff all at the same time and I have to do a major replacement job.

By the end of August, we had about 10 miscellaneous food items left in the pantry and the fridge only had milk, juice, and cheese. When I say we were out of stuff, I mean it. It was starting to get interesting around here for dinners. : )

Since it was the end of the month, we were short on funds so we had to wait till payday to do our shopping. So as soon as the money was in our account, I got the pleasure of hitting the local Wally World to restock my house. To some this may seem like a chore, but this is one of those really simple joys for me.

The Husband and The Wee One stayed at home and I took off - another joy...shopping alone. I am one of those odd people who actually enjoys grocery shopping. I don't really care for clothes shopping or just walking around window shopping, but I really do like to shop for groceries. I think it is because I know exactly what I want and need. I know where to find it, and I don't have to worry if it makes my butt look big. Although, maybe if I worried about that more at the grocery store, I wouldn't have to worry about it at the clothing stores...hum.

Anyway, I managed to get a grocery cart heaping full in 40 minutes, which isn't bad considering how much I bought. Not only was I going quick, but my basket was moderately organized. Here's a glimpse into my mind...I'm a freak about that kind of organization. Shopping with The Husband drives me crazy half the time because he just throws things in the cart. I like for stuff to have a sense of order so that when I get to the checkout I can make sure that cold stuff is together, fruits and veggies are together, boxes, cans, miscellaneous items, etc. It also allows for more room in the cart. We have very different ideas in relation to spatial arrangements. And yes, my way is better.

So, I get everything that I can - by the way, our local Wally World is notorious for being out of stuff. Last night I couldn't get my butter, creamer, sour cream, cheese, and more. You gotta be kidding me, right? After my disappointment about these various items, I checked out, loaded the car and headed home. The Husband unloads for me while I start putting things away. That's another spatial arrangement issue that we have come to terms on. He will just throw things in the pantry and I'll never find them again - and really, our pantry isn't that big.

Once it was all put away, I stood back and took it all in. My freezer is jammed full. My fridge is nicely stocked. My pantry is full of delicious goodies, and it is organized neatly. My house might look like a tornado went through the middle of it, but my pantry, cabinets, closets, and drawers are always in order. It's a thing with me.

Therefore, my simply joy of the day is that I have a house full of groceries and they are put away right. Life is good. : )

3 comments:

Paula said...

Would you stop inspiring me? For reals I know I need to go to the store, but we can get by a few more days. But you have to mention the full fridge and freezer and I saw that in my head and now I fill motivated to go to the store instead of taking a nap.

Just Us... said...

Hahahahaha You sound exactly like me, when it comes to shopping. I am glad I am not the only one with OCD.

The Bonjour Four said...

you're so funny. I totally understand though... it's sooo nice going shopping alone. Although I always feel rushed and never can seem to enjoy my time alone. I am prettty OCD but when I'm at the store I just throw everything in. You crack me up girl. Hope ya'll have a great weekened!