Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Planning for the future

Okay, so I admit that I am a little obsessive about the "practical things" in life. I like to be prepared. I like to be organized. It is odd that for as organized as I like to be, I can't keep my house clean. I mean really, it is only clean when we have company coming and it is a wreck the rest of the time.

Anyway, over the years I have gotten even more particular about getting my personal business in order. You know, things like wills, life insurance, retirements, college funds, etc. Part of this is just my practical approach to life. I've always been that way. The other part is that I have witnessed enough to know that life is unpredictable. I have a strong faith in God, and I believe that He has a plan for me. But, since I don't know what that plan is, I also believe that it is a wise use of the brain God gave me to prepare as much as I can for those things that I can't control. What I want is to know that I have done what I can to prepare for my future and the future of my family and then to not worry about it. For me, knowing it's all taken care of gives me freedom to not stress and worry.

Here's the catch - if you really want to do that stuff well you have to keep up with it. I just finished taking care of some life insurance for myself and thought I had everything on my checklist finally complete. Then today I get a letter saying the fund we have set up for college for The Wee One is drastically changing and we need to consider what we want to do with that account. Gheessh! Oh well, I would rather know that things are in order and taken care of, even if that means I need to keep on it. So, here's a little push to all of you...do you have affairs in order? It is worth looking into, I promise.

1 comment:

Paula said...

As someone who has experienced sudden loss of a spouse I promise that this is true. Prairie your comments are a much needed reminder. Wills, living wills, and financial plans should be evaluated on a regular basis because change is the only constant.