Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Susy Home-maker I am not


All joking aside, I am really lacking in on the home-front. When I do actually clean, it usually isn't even done very well. However, I am getting better in the baking/cooking department. Thank goodness! Life would be pretty bad if I was 100% horrible at my job (Yes, as a stay-at-home mom, this is my job.)


As it turns colder, I get these unstoppable desires to bake and cook delicious things. As I looked in my fridge today and noticed the bunch of over-ripe bananas, I decided it was time to bust out some banana bread - no nuts this time...didn't have them in the house. Making the 6 loaves (it was a big bunch) reminded me of the first time I ever made banana bread.
I got the recipe from my grandmother because she makes THE BEST banana nut bread. I got all the ingredients out. Greased and floured my pan. Followed the directions to the letter. Baked two beautiful looking loaves of bread. Then I cut into them.
There were all these round, medallion-looking things inside my banana nut bread. What the heck? My grandmother's bread never looked like that. As I run through my mind trying to figure out what I did wrong, it hits me..."Crap! I bet I was supposed to mash the bananas before I baked it." I know that seems so simple that it is hard to believe that someone would actually bake banana bread without mashing the main ingredient up, but I was that dumb. What's worse is that I was actually out of college - so like 23 or so when this happened. Yikes...perhaps I should have taken one of those home ec classes in high school.
Regardless of how it looked, it tasted fine and the two loaves were promptly eaten by The Husband - who at that time was The Boyfriend. Just goes to show that it's hard to screw up a baked good so much that there isn't someone who won't eat it.

1 comment:

Paula said...

THANK YOU for the laugh. That is a FUN memory! MISS YOU