Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A recipe for disaster

I have so enjoyed this Christmas season. I got the vast majority of my shopping done the first week of December and have had time to enjoy things like decorating the house, wrapping presents, listening to wonderful Christmas music and holiday movies, and of course, baking. I have gone through about 4 bags of flour this year, and still have a few things I would love to bake if I get the time.

So, given that this by far isn't my first baking episode, I was amazed at my blunder last night.

We had been in Amarillo all day and didn't get home until about 10 last night. After a chat with The Sister on the phone, I finally got to work on my breads around 10:45. I was happy, listening to movies play in the background, enjoying the glow of the Christmas lights from the tree and windows. I guess my mind was just in other places.

Usually, I pull everything out for a recipe and have it all on the counter before I begin. For some reason, I didn't do that this time. I was doubling my banana nut bread recipe and had my 4 cups of sugar, 4 1/2 cups of flour, 2 bags of nuts, and 8 bananas all mixed up, waiting for the rest of the ingredients, when I discovered I didn't have enough eggs.

You have got to be kidding me. I never do this stuff. I plan and I prepare. I don't start a huge batch of yumminess without checking to see if I have eggs.

So, with my head down, I quietly went to The Husband and said, "I'm a huge dork. I have a mini-emergency and need assistance." (Yes, those exact words.) I asked if he would get me some eggs. It being past 11 at this point, I didn't want to call on a neighbor and I was pretty sure the two convenience stores in town would be closed. This meant a 20 minute drive to Wal-Mart and a 20 minute drive back.

I offered to go, but he said he would make the run. What a great guy. He didn't mock me - much. He just put his coat on and headed out to the store. Needless to say, the bread finally got in the oven and after a batch of zucchini bread, some granola, and 25 tied off candy canes with messages, I went to bed - at 4 this morning.

Enjoy the yummies everyone...I'm out!

1 comment:

The Bonjour Four said...

what a sweet hubby! glad it all turned out. im sure you hav been a very tired momma today! wow 4 am!