Sunday, January 16, 2011

Liquid Chicken

Did you know that chicken can liquify? Let me explain how I know this.

When The Husband and I were still dating, he decided to make a special dinner for me. He came over to my apartment and told me to go relax while he cooked dinner. After looking through my kitchen, he decided spaghetti with chicken would be perfect.

I sat in the living room, enjoying a glass of wine, and listening to his proceedings in the kitchen. After about 15 minutes, he came rushing past me with a plate of something smoking black, headed to the balcony.

He came back inside and said calmly, "Did you know chicken can liquify? I didn't." I had to go check this out. On my balcony was something that looked like warm tar...it smelled worse than that.

Apparently, he had taken the chicken out of the freezer and put it in the microwave to defrost. However, he didn't hit defrost so it was cooking the whole time. So lesson learned - cooking frozen chicken in a microwave doesn't work. I almost had to buy a new microwave because it smelled so bad - for about a month!

Even with this small set back, he was undeterred. Back to the kitchen he went. The problem this time was that I didn't have any more meat in my freezer or fridge - except lunch meat that is. Can you guess what happened?

Yeah, with the table set nicely and candles lit, he called me over and placed my meal in front of me. Spaghetti with turkey lunch meat. He had literally broken up pieces of lunch meat and mixed it into the noodles, firmly believing that lunch meat was better than no meat. It's not.

Needless to say, his culinary endeavors have greatly improved over the years. How couldn't they?

2 comments:

Proverbs 31 Wannabe said...

He gets points for creativity anyway!

Paula said...

LOL. That is a fun memory. The next time he mentions my chicken and dumpling fiasco I will remind him of his turkey lunch meat spaghetti