Saturday, January 08, 2011

Unrest in my heart

Today is a sad day for the nation. Congresswoman Giffords and several others were victims of a public assassination attempt. I am saddened that someone in our nation feels/felt that this type of action is appropriate. I can't seem to shake my unrest about this matter, and I don't know why it is affecting me so much. While this entire situation is obviously sad, it is just as sad to think that shootings happen in our nation all the time. Just this past week, several people I know well were deeply affected by a school shooting. However, this current situation just seems to be hitting me extra hard.

Part of it for me is that this marks the end of a "peaceful protest" era for the nation. We have had major debates, ideology conflicts, and protests, but for the majority of my lifetime, we have not had any assassination attempts. The attempt on Reagan is the last one we have had. That means that for the past 30 years we (the US) have disagreed about some incredibly serious issues affecting our nation and world, in relatively peaceful manners.

That is gone now. I know that this specific situation is most likely due to one individual who is probably somewhat "off his rocker," but that does not relieve the uneasy feeling I have. I pray for peace and comfort for the family and friends of those killed and injured in this horrific attack. I pray for peace of those who were witness to it. I pray for patience and enlightenment for the nation as a whole. I specifically pray that we, as a nation, will hold judgement and come together to solve our problems, rather that allow this senseless act divide us more.

This is probably somewhat disconnected and rambling. I just can't get my mind together regarding it all. Ultimately, I am sad, but I have hope that we will strive for tolerance, peace, understanding, and cooperation, and not allow this one act to push forward any further acts of political/civil violence.

4 comments:

Paula said...

We feel the same way. How do we stop this? How can this be addressed in my classes? How do we explain to our children?

Prairie said...

Good questions, Paula. I wish I had good answers.

Thanks for the comment. I have had a lot of people read this and make comments on my FB page, call, or email me. Interesting how people choose to respond.

Deborah Woolsey said...

The anger and fear with which our nation is gripped is fired up by violent speakers and those who do not show a balanced picture of our circumstances. This nation is still blessed by much, but it is time that we seek the awareness of what and who we are in the light of well-being instead of sickness. How can we do this? Individually. This is a U.S. conscienciousness--the individual has rights and a voice. Perhaps it is time to voice more integrity and responsiblity in our words and actions. What can we tell our children? Change that lasts takes place in the hearts of people--one person at a time. Once settled there in the depths of being, it will grow because each individual will understand that with freedom, comes responsiblity. To preserve with what we have as a nation, each of us can show a disciplined heart--one that takes upon itself the will to be courageously responsible. Act and speak for the goodness of man. Ask ourselves, before we act,"If I traded places with this person or if I were dealing with this situation, what would I hope for?" Expecially those in the most prominent positions need to be responsible for strengthening one another rather than tearing each other apart. Look at history and realized that the pivot point of change starts with attitude. Trustworthy, and sincere voices that build confidence and fortitude can turn any situation toward an upward swing. Doubt, anger, fear, dishonesty will always fail us. A phrase that reminds me to be aware of the other is "one-anothering." Our strength and progress is in each of us being committed to one another's best. We can all reach our potential with a building-up concept. Fear, falsehood and self-centeredness serve only those who would hurt us, individually and nationally. ( If these words help, in your heart--share them)

Proverbs 31 Wannabe said...

It's been several days and my heart still hurts. I cried this morning as I watched the morning news. It's just so sad that innocent people died because of the illness or anger or whatever was plaguing that kid. Thank you for sharing so candidly.