Thursday, September 15, 2011

Hodgepodge Wed...no Thursday...no FRIDAY! A little behind, as usual.

1. What do you do at the first sign of a cold? Will you get a flu shot this year?

As a family we are not sick very often - thank you God! However, when I first start to feel under-the-weather, I usually get a warm cup of tea and a nice blanket and crash. About once a year it gets to a point where I have to go to a doctor and that is usually toward the end of April (allergies I think). It will be interesting to see if I have that same issue this coming year now that we've moved. When The Wee One is showing signs of a cold, we do about the same. Try to cram liquids and sleep in like crazy and hope it passes, however, if it doesn't off to the doctor she goes. Again, luckily, she's not a sickly child so that's not often.

To flu shot or not to flu shot? We were talking about that the other day. We'll probably get the kiddo one, but I don't know if we'll mess with it or not. The Husband usually does as respitory illness is his adversary.

2. What advice can you give about how to conquer fear?
I offer the disclaimer that it depends on the fear, but if it is an unreasonable or irrational fear (like my fear of heights), I say get out and force yourself to take baby steps toward meeting the fear face-to-face. Heights freak me out, yet I've been on several different high ropes courses and made it through them - even if it was embarrassing to have a high schooler have to talk me through it. I'm still working on this fear. For example...walking out onto the glass overlook of the Grand Canyon is probably not something I could handle just yet. Bridges are another fear so that kind of thing combined with height is a little much. : )

3. Share two good things about your life right now.
I feel so blessed to say that is a difficult one to narrow down at this point. That said, I will go with (1) my family - precious Wee One and Husband, and (2) a new idea that I truly believe God has given me to run with...more on that in future blogs I hope.

4. A hot fall fashion trend in 2011 is a return to the 60's style...tunics with pants, shift dresses, pencil skirts, cinched waists, bold prints, high necklines and short lengths to name a few. How does this fashion trend fit with your wardrobe and personal sense of style?
Now that I've picked myself up from the floor laughing, I can respond to this one...personal sense of style? Hahahahahahaha! Okay, really, I do feel like I have a sense of style, I just don't bust it out as much as I probably should. As far as trends go, I'm totally out on that. I have no sense of fashion trends - never really have. Either that or I'm just way ahead of the curve. Several of the things I wore in high school (and completely got made fun of for) have been in the trend swings the past few years. In general, I am a classic style. I like classic, tailored stuff and neutral colors. Pretty much anti-60's & 70's everything. I do have a thing for 50's dresses, but don't wear them much. Takes too much effort and time to shop for me to really develop a real fashion sense. (I tried to find a picture of me with "my style" but apparently I don't take many pictures of myself - at least not in unless I'm on a trip and either dress up super fancy or in my travel clothes.)

5. Were you involved in scouting as a kid? How about as an adult?
Nope...I tried a Girl Scout troop when I was a kid and was pretty much outcast because my family wasn't "normal." I was in a single-parent home, in married-student housing while my mom went back for her teacher's certificate, and we didn't have much. The girls I was put with were upper middle class and mean. They left me out of things on a regular basis and mocked my clothes so I ditched it. Part of me hates the thought that I quit, but why subject yourself to something that makes you upset and nervous all the time, especially when it is supposed to be a fun, learning, giving situation?

6. Apple, pear, plum, pumpkin...your favorite fall flavor?
I don't know if I have a favorite flavor, but I do LOVE pumpkin pies. : ) Pretty much everything fall is a plus for me.

7. Insert random thought here...
My baby girl turned 3 yesterday! She is a hoot...to celebrate, we went out for pizza and ice cream. As we sat outside eating the ice cream, some local musical artists started playing on the corner. The Wee One (and some new friends she made while eating ice cream) started to dance for these musicians. Apparently blues and old rock speak to my child. When we told her it was time to go (during a music break) she stood her ground and said "No, I have to dance still!"

1 comment:

Proverbs 31 Wannabe said...

Can't wait to hear your ideas!! My "babies" are 7 and I can't believe how fast it goes.