Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Life's uncertainty

This amazing photograph was taken by Deanna Roy. I got it off a friend's Facebook page.



Over the past few days, Central Texas has been terrorized by wildfires. Yes, I do mean terrorized. In our home, we have kept the TV on more than usual to keep track of current fires, and any new fires that might pop up.


Sunday was a crazy day around here and for the first time in years, I found myself packing a bag just in case we had to evacuate. It's still packed.


However, any fear or uncertainty I have had is minimal compared to those who have been directly affected by these fires. As I watched the news tonight or look at the picture above, I find myself overwhelmed by the thought of those who have been relocated because they have lost all they have worked for - or more importantly - their sense of security.


Then my thoughts go to how uncertain human life is and how much we each take for granted. Where do we put our security? What do we value as important? As I packed a bag I had to check myself several times. "No, I don't need that. If it got burned/destroyed I could eventually replace it." I hate to admit how many times I had to tell myself that. Eventually, I managed to get the "necessities" all into two simple over-the-shoulder bags (plus my purse and The Wee One's carry-all bag that we take everywhere).


It's very difficult to push past the material possessions that we have built up as our security blankets and remember that God is the only security we have. Remember that scene from Parenthood where the grandmother talks about her first time on a roller coaster? It is a wonderful analogy for life and I agree with her 100%...I love the roller coaster, even though it's not the safe, stable ride.


That said, I know that there is great physical and emotional loss at times like these, and I pray for all of those affected by these fires. Dear Lord, please provide comfort for those feeling pain and loss. Provide energy for the workers trying to control these fires. Provide wisdom for the people in power to make decisions on how to address this situation. Provide open and giving hearts for those in the community who are able to help. And dear Lord, please provide sufficient rain to quench the ground. Amen.


No comments: