Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Halloween...sending mixed messages?



Having been raised in the generation where getting your Halloween candy x-rayed before you ate it might have contributed to my skepticism about the up coming holiday, but I really don't get Halloween. Nor do I agree with the mixed messages it sends to our children.


Over the past 10 years or so, communities, schools, and churches have come up with tons of ideas to make Halloween safe - particularly trick or treating. I get that. Going door-to-door is kind of risky and sending kids out at night by themselves is just not smart. However, is allowing kids to get their candy from the trunk of a car a good idea (Truck or Treat)? Does anyone else see the mixed message here?

The point of particular conflict is that many churches are now doing this program and specifically encouraging the community to attend. Therefore, you have tons of kids accepting candy from strangers.


By a car.

Specifically by the truck of a car.


It just seems wrong to me.


I like the big community focused events. I worked for an institution that hosted a big Halloween Carnvial for the area kids. We'd get around 600 kids each year. There were silly games like cake walks and bean bag tosses, face painting, and of course CANDY! Kids got to come in costume, get candy, play games, and have fun. It was great. I realize that not every community has a university right there so it's a little harder, but ultimately it shouldn't be.


In light of my dis-gruntled attitude toward current programming, I might have to open my big mouth and offer to help coordinate something a little different for next year. Don't make a complaint unless you are willing to offer a solution, right?


All that said, I hope everyone has a safe and fun Halloween! Do you do anything special to celebrate this night?


Disclaimer...I'm not anti-Halloween. I've just never gotten that into it.

3 comments:

Juju said...

You probably never got to dress up like a toilet or a pom-pom!!!

Paula said...

I think big town halloweens are eh...Small town events or even better rural trick or treating is better in my mind. Safer and full of personal spoiling. Our neightbors BAKED or made special treats just for that night and didn't buy bags of candy. One neighbor gave us a full size candy bar, but we always got homemade popcorn balls, carmel apples, carmel popcorn, cookies or taffy. It was AMAZING!

Paula said...

another thought...getting goodies from strangers out of trunks of cars for "fun" is kind of like approaching the ice cream truck. Egads. Creepy.