Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Woman of Faith

This past weekend I attened a Women of Faith conference in San Antonio. I'd been to one before with a dear friend. This time I attended with a total stranger. Both were great experiences.

I had gotten an email from the organization back in September and decided I wanted to go. I figured why not see if some of the ladies who attend the church we've choosen wanted to attend. Due to a multitude of reasons, only 1 other woman could make it. She and I are about 20 years apart in age and had met once...literally in passing. So through emails and texts we made plans to attend this weekend of women celebrating all aspects of being a woman and giving praise and worship to our God.

Let me say...this was a HUGE step for me. I might teach speech communication, but I am not that great at (and highly uncomfortable with) meeting new people and making small talk. It is 100% out of my comfort zone. I've learned to do it out of necessity, but it is a big area of speaker apprehension for me.

So on Friday morning before the crack of dawn, I hop in the car of a woman I do not know to share a 2 hour ride down, two days of conference, a room (and a bed) and a 2 hour ride back. I told The Husband, "as long as she doesn't turn out to be crazy, I should be back on Saturday night."

I have to say, God is good. Even with the age and life experience differences of my travel companion. Even with the lack of comfort in knowing each other. Even with the apprehension I carry with me through things this like this, I came back refreshed and renewed.

The conference was wonderful.

Let me revise that...once I checked my bias/anger about the commercialization of my faith at the door, the conference was wonderful.

If you have never been to a Women of Faith conference before, let me tell you a few things.

1. They aren't kidding about the fact that you will laugh - HARD. It is one of the things I love most about the conference. It is good for your body and soul to have those big gut laughs (I use the word gut because when I have a good laugh it is way more than just a little belly laugh for me). These speakers are a hoot! A few in particular are practically stand-up comedians. I believe what makes it so funny is that they are really speaking truth. The stuff we all live with everyday and sometimes really need to just laugh about - out loud.

2. They aren't kidding that you might cry some. Every women needs to be able to release. The first time I went I found myself crying at things that I wouldn't have even thought I had a connection to, but I needed to release other stress and tension, and in all reality joy that I was being able to spend that time with my dear friend. This time, I didn't cry a lot, but the times I did get a little teary-eyed were in response to my inward cries for social empathy throughout the world in all situations. Regardless of the reasons, it is a good thing to allow your body to release those feelings and thoughts. It will refresh you.

3. They aren't kidding that you might be touched in ways that you never thought you would be. Many of the speakers told stories of serious struggles and how they had to walk through those to get where they are now. I thought at one point, "These women are amazing and praise you Lord that You have given them the strength and grace to walk through their situations and now be able to share with us...BUT...this is not really directed to me at this point in my life."

Give God a little time...

Just a bit after thinking that, one speaker/singer made this comment (paraphrased): "Some of you may be going through the darkness right now. Some of you might not be there. This weekend reminds us that if you aren't in the 'bad' right now, you've probably been there or will be there in the future." Amen! I don't know of a single woman who hasn't "been there" at some point in her lifetime. Some "go there" more times than others, but we all hit the darkness from time to time. An underlying theme I took away from this weekend was the idea of connection. Being connected is often how God leads us through the darkness and back to the light. Being connected is the human experience.

4. They don't say this, but you will be bombarded with opportunities to buy, buy, buy. I know that this is part of the gig. I know that this is a career for these women. I know these events cost a ton to host (production, crews, salaries, venues, travel, etc.). However, I cannot help but be frustrated when every time I turn around I am pushed to purchase something. Even the speakers manage ever-so-lightly to mention their books in each session. I mean really. You give us 30 minute breaks. Like there is anything else to do but check out all the things to buy in the hallways. Do you really have to mention it all the time? Like I said before, this is a thing I had to deal with and push past me to be able to let God in and enjoy the blessings of the stories, worship, and beauty of women connecting. Once I did that and gave God the weekend, it was wonderful.

I will leave with this clip. Amy Grant performed (let's face it, who doesn't love her?) and something she said about this song touched me - one of those social empathy moments. She said, "During a signing, I watched a family waiting in line. They looked so perfect. Put together, well-behaved, smiling. When it was time to go, the oldest daughter (about 16 or so) touched my shoulder and said, 'Thank you for putting this song on your cd. It means more to me than I can tell you.'" Wow. Just another reminder that while we think "she" must have it so good, we never really know what is going on in her world.

2 comments:

Paula said...

I am so sad I had to miss. I am so glad you had this time to refresh. I think Amy Grant is amazing.

Love ya!

Proverbs 31 Wannabe said...

So glad you had a great time. It's been years since I've been to a Women of Faith conference but I remember all too well how wonderful it was. I love Amy Grant!