Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Being Christian During Christmas

I saw the post below on a Facebook this morning and it got me going. I have blogged about this issue in the past (see Happy Holidays), but as it happens every year, I feel I want to talk about again.

Facebook Post
For all my War on Christmas friends: "If you want to keep Christ in Christmas, worry about things more important than the signs and decorations at JC Penney. You think Christmas should be about Christ? Then take up your cross and follow Jesus – not into department stores, but into the prisons, the hospitals, among the poor and the outcast. You get angry when someone doesn’t say “Christmas?” Try getting angry over Christ’s children dying of malnutrition or AIDS. Try getting angry over the fact that the Christmas chocolate you love so much was kept cheap on the back of the working poor. Try getting angry over the fact that Christians are keeping people out of churches with their closed minds and closed doors."

Let me say, I'm not a "War on Christmas" person, but I do personally like to say Merry Christmas (most of the comments below the post were about this issue). It is a celebration of my faith. That said, I do try to be open to others by saying Happy Holidays when I am out in public or talking with acquaintances or strangers. I do not know their faith or traditions and it is a courtesy I try to extend to them. Do I always get it right? No. However, in no way would I get mad or frustrated with someone for saying Happy Holidays to me instead of Merry Christmas.

There were some responses under this post and they made me so sad/frustrated. One in particular talked about how she had been "reported" to the management at her customer service job because she was saying Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. Really, people? Is that how Christ would want you to behave? What a poor example of Christ.

As Christians this holiday is one of the top 2 for us to celebrate and cherish. This is traditionally known as a season of giving and joy, inspired by the birth of Jesus Christ. When we get caught up in the materialistic aspects we are taking away from the purpose of this holiday. In no way do I suggest you not give or receive gifts, but if you are celebrating the holiday as a Christian, shouldn't it reflect our faith instead of putting a black spot on it with ugly behavior? Demanding that everyone say Merry Christmas to you is not a positive reflection of faith, love, or understanding.

If you are adamant that this should be all about Merry Christmas (regardless of the fact that many other faiths have celebrations during this time of year), consider this idea. Wear a button that says Merry Christmas and when someone says Happy Holidays to you, just go with it. They can see by your button that you believe in Merry Christmas.

In response to the rest of the Facebook post...AMEN! Why do we worry so much about whether everyone on our list is getting exactly what they asked for when so many in our world (and nation) are just hoping for the essentials to live a healthy and safe life? How many people on your Christmas list would be offended if you sent money to a charity instead of buying them a gift? How many of those same people are Christians? How many times have you welcomed a new person at your church? Take that one step farther...how many times have you reached out to a person who you've noticed coming a few times to church. (Each time we move we go "church shopping" and I can't tell you how many churches I've been to where the members don't even say hi when we walk in the door - even if we've visited multiple times.)

So, to wrap up my wordy, ranting response to this issue...maybe it's time for us Christians to start acting truly as Christians and not allow little things like saying Happy Holidays damage our witness to others. Maybe, just maybe...we can even take it to the next level by opening ourselves to issues larger than ourselves and to people truly in need.

This season, I pray that each Christians takes time to let go of the commericalized Christmas we've set up and take some specific time to thank God for sending His Son to us. I pray that we each find ways (big or small) to extend the love we have for Christ with the world around us. I pray that we treat others with the grace and mercy that Christ has treated us with. For any non-Christians who may be reading this, I pray for you too - that you have a blessed holiday season filled with joy.

5 comments:

mkeithbrown said...

You've said it as well as I've ever seen, Prairie; thanks! Heard yesterday of a church in Amarillo with a sign on the door that says "we do not welcome illegal aliens". And we wonder why Christianity gets a bad name. All that being said, from a Christian friend to another--Merry Christmas, Seasons Greetings, Happy Holidays. I wish you, Brent and the little one all the wonders this Holy Season provides!

Paula said...

Amen and amen! I love your honesty. Thanks for keeping it real.

Prairie said...

Thanks Keith & Paula. Merry Christmas to you both!

Marilyn said...

You are on the same track that I am. I get so upset about how commercial Christmas. We have seem to have put Christ in second place right behind Santa . Actually her may be after the Grinch and Rudolph too. Who knows. As Christians we ARE to spread the word and Glad Tidings that indeed a Savior has been born.

Marilyn said...

I should have proof read my last post. Hope you can make sense out of it.