Monday, November 28, 2011

Christmas time is coming...

I'll admit that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday so I do not put up decorations, shop, or even bake for Christmas until that day has past. However
...now
...it
...is
...Christmas Time!

We each have specific quirks about how we celebrate this season. Here's a quick Q&A so you can see some of what we do in our house.

1. Colored lights or white lights? As I believe I have mentioned in previous years, The Husband is the Christmas Snob and he only allows white lights to be displayed in or on the home. (Since he is so non-assertive about most of this kind of stuff, I let him have this whim - though I do mock it mercilessly).

2. Do you hang mistletoe? I haven't in years, but it is a tradition I enjoy so maybe I'll work on that one...

3. When do you put your decorations up? Usually sometime the week after Thanksgiving. We really don't have that many decorations so it's a pretty easy ordeal for us.

4. Open gifts on Christmas Eve or wait for Christmas morning? Most years we are at someone else's place for the holiday so we usually follow whatever tradition they do at their place. However, we've been talking about it and we think we should develop some traditions we can take with us wherever we are...and since I've always enjoyed getting to open a small gift on Christmas Eve I'm thinking that is one that will travel.

5. How do you decorate your tree? We are pretty traditional. Obviously, we have white lights and then since The Husband would prefer a perfectly matching tree we somewhat compromise and have the majority of the tree decorated with the State of Texas Capitol collection and the WTAMU collection. There are a few other "approved" ornaments that have been added for memories, but really on a tiny tree like ours, the collection ornaments take up most of the space. We do wrap white pearl beads around the tree and the years when we have bought a bigger tree, we use ribbon as well.

6. Are you dreaming of a white Christmas? Heck yes! I love snow and I particularly love it on Christmas!!!! The first year The Husband & I were dating Amarillo had a record snowfall of 22 inches on Christmas Eve. It was awesome!!!! My car was stuck too much so he came to get me on Christmas evening and we played in all the snow in the park, making giant deer prints and being silly. Anytime I get snow anywhere around Christmas time, I think of that time.

7. What is the most important think about this holiday to you? Celebrating the birth of Jesus and sharing that with my friends and family.

8. Star or angel tree topper? Now we have a small angel, but for several years we used a big bow with the ribbons flowing down.

9. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Both, but honestly, I love it when I've found something I just know someone will love.

10. Favorite Christmas song? I don't know if I have an all-time favorite. I pretty much love all the traditional carols. The song below was on an old homemade tape my mom had when we were kids. Typically I'm not into this kind of music, but this song always makes me smile for some reason.



How do you celebrate this holiday? If you celebrate something other than Christmas at this time of year, I'd love to hear about your holiday and traditions as well.

2 comments:

Paula said...

I think my favorite tradition is our gift from the heart that we do at my parents. the gift has to be hand crafted. Everything is always beautiful and unique. I love making the gift. I find myself praying for the person that receives it.

Prairie said...

I love that idea! I imagine there are some wonderful gifts each year.