Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ponderings

Break time! So, as mentioned at some point along the way, I am currently working on my dissertation for my Ed.D. in Higher Education. I know...you're jealous! But, let me reassure you, it's not all rainbows and butterflies. HA! I have finally completed the biggest portion of my data collection - 368 institutions. The good times never stop around here! Therefore, I am taking a quick break to have a bag of popcorn. This ultimately brings me to my point of blogging today.

As I sit here, taking, in my opinion, my very well-deserved break, I find myself thinking about my weight. I know, it might seem like an odd thing to consider, but let's be honest...as a women, it is something that is on most of our minds on a regular basis. I'm sitting here, eating my popcorn (which is a personal favorite), and wishfully thinking about some delicious Sonic food and drinks. Crazy! That then makes me think about the current situtation of my weight.

While in no way am I "fat", I have put on some extra pounds in the last few years. It started before the pregnancy and then for some odd reason, I seemed to keep on gaining. Hum. I did great after The Wee One arrived and actually got to a weight UNDER my pre-prego weight. Glorious! Then...it started coming back. Boo!

I am currently at a moderate weight, but not a particularly ideal one for my BMI. So, logically I know I need to lose a little to be healthy. However, I'm not particularly unhealthy either. On the whole, I eat fairly well. I don't eat a lot of fast food (anymore), I don't eat a lot of sugars, I could probably up my veggie intake. I've even cut way back on my sodas. I usually only drink about one a week now and I'm working on dropping that to just the occasional beverage.

So why is this on my mind? Two things. (1) I'm in a wedding this coming May and while I know it isn't about me, I definitely don't want to look bad in the pictures that will be around for the rest of my life since it is a family wedding. (2) I know I will be seeing certain family members within the next few months that are super obessed with how people look. Should I care? No. But in reality, I do. I just don't want to hear their little comments about how I should work out with them or the sometimes more blunt statements of "you should loose some weight."

Please don't think ill of my family. They have their fine points and their not-so-fine points just like everyone else. However, it is frustrating to hear that crap. So, here is my inner response:

"I like myself. I'm proud of my accomplishments. I am okay with being a little "over-weight" for now. If I choose to gain a few pounds while being at home with my child and working on my doctorate, who should care but me."

That's my new personal statement - how do you like it?

No comments: