Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Follow up

In reference to the post below...

For all of you who think that racism and prejudice is a thing of the past, that is proof that it is alive and thriving. Sad to say, but true. Obviously, this has been bothering me. While the story is slightly humorous on a satirical level, it is sad that she would feel so assured that since we are white, we would agree with her that Mexicans are a "problem".

I so wish I had some something back to her about it. Instead, I just changed the subject. That is wrong of me. I cannot believe that if Christ had been there, that He would have just let it slide.

I have two things that hold me back from speaking out when things like that happen.

1. I am afraid I will lose it and say things that are inappropriate as well. I know if Christ were to rebuke her, He would be able to do it with grace. Me, not so much.

2. This is the one that is so sad...I don't want to make a scene. How pathetic is that? I don't know this person. What should I care about what she thinks? However, I do hold back because I don't want to cause problems. Maybe that's because in my family, if you try to correct, rebuke, or even offer a different view, it typically causes a BIG scene and doesn't ever change anything anyway.

So, needless to say, I am still "beating" myself up about this encounter. Mildly beating. I am vowing to do better next time. It may be a simple stop to the conversation, but I will not continue to act as though those comments are not bothersome. They are. They are just plain wrong.

Yes, I know I'm on a soapbox about this a little...but at least it is against myself. : )

No comments: