Sunday, May 09, 2010

A tramatic experience

The Wee One is almost 20 months old and her hair is (was) totally unruly! Even with a good combing in the morning, it would end up all over the place by noon. Therefore, after much debate, The Husband and I decided it was time to trim it.

We first thought of his aunt who owns a salon and cuts hair professionally. However, due to some scheduling conflicts, that wasn't working. So, while visiting my mom this weekend, we decided she could just cut it.

Now, keep in mind that my mother always cut my hair - I didn't go to a professional till I was 19. She has cut all the hair in our family forever so I trust that she is capable. Keeping my extremely active child still long enough for even on snip of the scissors proved to be the challenge. I took the advice about putting on one of her favorite shows, I sat her in my lap, my dad sat on the floor letting her play with his hands (she has an odd obsession with playing with people's hands) and we started the process.

We got her hair wet, we combed it out to see where we wanted to cut it, we opened the scissors and...SHE MOVES HER HEAD! After that, the plan changed to giving her a short boy cut - out of pure necessity.

So, we move along, she is doing fairly well. We are able to anticipate most of her squirms and then...

on the last cut...

she jerks her head to the side. Snip! A little bit off the ear please.

Okay, so it really isn't much and you can't even tell she got snipped now. However, it did bleed at the time. The Wee One cried. My mom cried. My dad ran to get a small band-aid. I cuddled The Wee One. Ultimately, much to do about nothing. We got the bleeding stopped fairly quickly and put some antibacterial stuff on it for good measure. The Wee One even let my mom cuddle her. Add a bow and she is cute as ever...actually, she can even get by without the bow because she is so stinking precious (a mother's bias is always allowed in her own blog).

All is well in the world again...until the next hair cut.

1 comment:

The Bonjour Four said...

Oh MY GOODNESS!! how horrible. I bet your poor mom did feel just awful even though it wasn't her fault. That is probably the hardest thing we have come across with Noah is hair cuts. He absolutely HATES it. It is so hard. i have no idea how those professional people do it when they are moving their heads all over the place. Glad she still has her ear! I bet she does look as cute as ever! You need to put a pic up!