Monday, May 31, 2010

I'm doing my job, I'm the Highway Patrol

Remember how I said we have "exciting" weekends. Got another one for you...

Yesterday we had a wonderful Sunday. While I was getting ready for church I found myself thinking of our dear friends The Dalke's, who are currently serving as missionaries in another part of the world. I was wondering when they would be back in the states and if we would get to see them anytime soon. Get this...walking into church who was standing on the steps? NATE DALKE! Then as I sat looking over the service program, I noticed that there were new members joining that morning....two of my friends from college who I just adore but haven't seen in ages! How cool is that?

Following church, The Husband and I decided to hit Olive Garden (to minimally celebrate our 7 year anniversary - the big celebration is coming this weekend) with The Wee One. Great lunch - delicious and The Wee One did awesome. By the time we got the check, she had crawled on to The Husband's lap and fallen asleep.

We paid out, picked up The Wee One and got in the car to head to my parent's house. Then the trouble started. While driving down the road, all of the sudden a highway patrol flips around and pulls us over. I knew we weren't speeding so I couldn't figure out why we were getting stopped. Easy one...in Texas you have to have both front and back car tags. We are missing the front one. He was very nice and said, he would just give us a warning on the tag....then he noticed the inspection sticker.

Yep, it was way out of date. Like last December. He said he would have to give us a ticket for that. Bummer.

So we pull away and start driving down the road, but I hear an odd noise. I say to The Husband, "I think we might have a flat." He says, "Can't be, I'd feel it." Fine, whatever.

About 5 miles later I say, "Pull over, I'm sure there is something wrong."

This time, he agreed and yep...the tire was flat as can be. The side had blown out. Even though we were less than a mile from the nearest Wally World, we decided it would be best to go ahead and change it since it was so flat and we didn't want to screw up the rims. Poor Husband. I was proud of him though. It has probably been at least 5 years since he has had to change a tire and he had it done in about 10-12 minutes.

So, I called my mom and asked her to meet me at Wally World to pick us up while the tire got fixed. We had a nice afternoon with my parents and then The Husband's mom - even got to see the newest Shrek (The Wee One's favorite!).

Anniversary number 7: 1 ticket, 1 blow out, 4 new tires, lots of little surprises...all in all, not a bad day and definitely one we will remember.

No comments: