Monday, September 27, 2010

You go girl!

I did something tonight just for me. It was a big deal for me and something I haven't done in about 10 years. I'm stinkin' proud of myself right now.

So, I've mentioned before that I have joined the campus choir as a community member and I love it. I have always loved singing and being part of a group is something I really, really love. This semester, we are singing a song that is sooooo within my voice range and there are two solos in the piece. I debated and deliberated, and practiced and practiced...then tonight, I actually tried out for one of the solos!

The director asked, "Who wants to go first?" Dead silence. I said "I'll go." One of my former speech students is in the choir as well and she hit it on the head when she said, "That's a speech teacher - go first and get it over with." I had to laugh because that was so right. I sang the part and then sat down. My heart was racing, my head was swimming, but I felt good about doing it.

We won't know till next week who got the solos, but regardless of the turn out, I am proud of myself. I stepped out of my comfort zone to try something and that's all enough, right? I will say, that I think I surprised a few people - not only by trying out, but that I actually was fairly good. As the only African-American in the choir said, "Girl, you got a little black in you." She is so stinking sweet...and funny. Hahahahahahahaha!

Here is the song we will be singing...enjoy!

2 comments:

The Bonjour Four said...

you are awesome! so proud of you! im sure you did awesome. Good luck!!!

Paula said...

WOW! I am so proud of you. There are so many reasons we teach, but I think one of the benefits is that we see students stretching their comfort zones and it challenges us to keep doing it. YOU are such an inspiration!!! Love, love, love you!!!!