Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Personality extended

I recently returned from a wonderful 4-day weekend in Chicago with my dear friend JuJuBug. Yes, she is one of the Dramatic People, and I love, love, love her! Anyway, it was such a great trip and I had so much fun, but by Monday, I was ready to be home.


As the trip progressed, I found myself thinking how interesting it is that people's personalities and perceptions extend into the places they live. For me, visiting a big city is wonderful, but living there would be too hectic for me on a day-to-day basis. While I currently live in a community that is a bit too small for me, I do like having space and simplicity around me. While a city like Chicago would have a thousand opportunities of things to do and things to access, I know that I would start to feel exhausted after a while dealing with traffic, crowds, always having to pay to park, etc.


A lot of this relates to my current stage of life as a mother. I think I would find big-city life easier to handle as a single person or a married couple without kids, but with a kid - no thanks. As I ran around town (thoroughly enjoying myself) I kept thinking, "I would not want to have to push The Wee One through all of this." It had nothing to do with the people or the area - it really was the thought of the hassle.

Although I know there is no "perfect" place, for me I think my "perfect community" would be like this....

A mid-sized town (say 50-60,000 people) with a university. Not only because that is our chosen field, but typically, the people who live in university towns are thinkers and like to discuss interesting things. I want a church where I feel accepted and loved. I want family and/or friends near by (or at least a good airport within decent driving distance). I want good schools and activities for my kids that are fun and interesting. Obviously low crime. A good grocery store, a bookstore, a good coffee shop, all in town. And a good-size city near by for bigger events like symphonies, plays, traveling shows, activities for kids, etc. Is this really too much to ask?

I know for some that would seem boring, and that is why there are big cities fill of excitement. And really, how great is it that we have all these different options in the US to choose from. You can live in a rural area where the nearest neighbor is 10-50 miles away. You can live in a moderately rural area, but close to town. You can live in the small country town, the small suburb of a city, the mid-size town, the mid-size city, the big city, the really big city...whatever works for you and your life choices. Now the only thing is to understand yourself and find the right place. Easy enough, right?

1 comment:

Paula said...

As you know, lately THE Man has been considering a move...your list about equals ours except we must have several acres. I have lived in 4 states and all areas were different. Luckily, I found great people everywhere. The church issue was more challenging, but I feel if we are seeking Him we will find Him in many places besides the church building. It is sometimes easier to have that "soul" food provided by a pastor though. Interesting post! Great reminder that WE all have a place to FIT for a home.