Monday, September 27, 2010

I took The Wee One to McDonald's the other day to have a nice little mother/daughter lunch. As we sat there, eating fries heavily dipped in ketchup and playing with the cute little happy meal toy, I looked around and noticed something interesting about the dining area.

McDonald's is a place for kids and for those over the age of 65. There was not a single person in sight. Apparently, single adults go through the drive-thru. I will admit, that I am not really a McDonald's food fan. Breakfast is awesome, but the rest of the menu is pretty weak for an adult. However, it is the fast food mecca for kids. The McDonald's in our area doesn't even have a playground, but that doesn't matter to the kiddos who flock to the place. They love it. They love the junk food, they love the silly toys they get with their meal, they love the wall computer games. They just love the whole experience.

Think back to when you were a kid. Wasn't a trip to McDonald's completely awesome? I remember going with my grandpa to the McDonald's near his house. About once a week, he would take my brother and I to eat breakfast and play. Back then, the playgrounds were awesome! There was the merry-go-round, the hamburger jail, the fry-guy bouncers...what could be cooler? I remember eating on the outside benches with my grandpa, and then while he sat there with his never-ending coffee cup, my brother and I would run around like crazy monkeys. It was not just breakfast - it was a full outing.

So, dear adult readers, the next time you drive past McDonald's and think "Yuck!", take a second and reminisce about your childhood days. Then, find a kid (preferably yours or one who's parents will give you permission) and take them to McDonald's for a meal. You will see the wonder and joy in their face. I dare you not to smile as you witness it.

1 comment:

The Bonjour Four said...

awww you brought back memories! hehe so true!!