Wednesday, October 27, 2010

How sweet am I?

Yesterday was a good friend's birthday. While having a relaxing celebration around her outdoor fire, we learned that today would be another friend's birthday. The Husband's boss/friend to be exact. The Husband noted that there would be a department meeting today and that it would be fun to surprise his boss with a cake for her birthday.

He turned to me and said, "Would you make her a cake tomorrow?" I glanced back and he quickly added, "Or you would you mind picking one up in town while you're there tomorrow?" I kind of chuckled to myself. In no way do I mind making a cake, but I don't usually have cake mixes in my house. (Note I said cake mix - yeah, I'm not the make-a-cake-from-scratch type...although I want to give it a go sometime.) Anyway, he was in luck as I actually did have 2 cake mixes in my house thanks to my mom giving me a baking-basket gift for my birthday a month ago (pans and mixes).

So, I said, "No problem" and added cake baking to my list of things to do. My dilemma arose when I remembered I had no icing in the house. I live 20 minutes or so from the nearest town with a grocery store and didn't feel like putting The Wee One in the car and spending 40 minutes (there and back) just to get icing. So I pulled out a cookbook and searched for an icing recipe that I could put together with things I had in my house. I did have the necessary powdered sugar, but only 1 cup worth. Crap! So, I made a very simple icing and spread it as thin as I could to cover the very simple cake.

I pulled out candles, plates, serving utensils, and ran the cake over to The Husband, hoping that his boss would take the "it's the thought that counts" philosophy when looking at the cake. Verdict: he came home with a completely empty cake dish. All of this goes to prove that I really am sweet...