Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A true friend last for all time...

There is a little coffee shop in a neighboring town where I sometimes go to get work done. (Remember, I'm supposed to be working on my dissertation to get it completed...um yeah.) Anyway, as I sat there yesterday, diligently transferring my survey results to readable statistical data, I noticed two older ladies sitting at a table nearby chatting with each other.

It was obvious from their conversation that they have known each other for many years. (Before you think I'm some awful person who ease-drops on other's conversations, let me say that the coffee shop is actually inside a Hallmark store and there only 4 tables that are placed very close together.) So, they were chatting and sharing memories from days past and having a great time with each other. Their friendship - that has easily spanned 20 or 30 years - has not changed in dramatic ways. While their stories of things that happened when they were 20 or so were more vivid, their conversations of more current events were just as endearing and meaningful.

It made me think of my friendships. Three in particular. These ladies are exceedingly dear to me, and while I have shared hilarious moments with each one that to this day might bring us to tears when we mention them, our friendship is not limited to that. These are women that I see myself sitting with in a coffee shop 20 years from now. Talking about memories, life experiences, current problems, even the dullest of things like needing to go shopping at Wal-Mart for milk. Those are the truest of friendships. The ones that are for a lifetime. I feel so blessed to have three of these friendships (who by the way are actually friends with each other as well), and I strive to never take them for granted. JuJu Bug, LaLa, and The Sister - I love you dearly.

1 comment:

Prairie said...

I should add that I have some other incredibly dear friends - each hold special meaning and purpose in my life. : )