Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Inhibition

I witnessed something the other day that has made me think about my own self-image and confidence...I went with my friend to have a spa/massage experience and an experience it was.


She told me in advance that for the spa area (sauna, hot tub, eucalyptus spray) some women walk around naked. Okay, no big deal. And really it wasn't, but I have to say, when I got there - in my swimsuit - I was mildly shocked at how uninhibited the other women were. My friend and I were the ONLY two in suits. The other 6 or so women there, were totally free flying.


This may sound odd, but I was not put off by this. More than anything I kept thinking - how brave these women were to be able to walk freely as God made them. In no way was I checking them out, but when full nudity is literally in your face, you can't help but notice a few things. These women did not have great bodies - not horrid, but no supermodels either. There were no obvious signs of plastic surgery to "fix" things, there was no make up, there was nothing to hide any imperfection however big or small it may have been. And they were fine with that.

A few were chatting (softly due to the signs everywhere about it being a relax zone), and I got the feeling that some of them knew each other. As much as I love my friends, and have changed in front of them on occasion, I'm just not at a place in my life where I feel comfortable baring all in front of people I know. Complete strangers might be different...who knows.


I've never been an overly modest person, but I'm not a free-bird either. I will admit that in the privacy of my own home, I do love the feeling of walking around in my birthday suit (blinds and curtains all shut tight!) Ultimately, I actually kind of admire these women for being so comfortable with themselves to go for it. I might just have a new goal to put on my "bucket list"...bare all in a women's spa atCheck Spelling least once.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Now I have some questions for our next visit...you see I once was at a spa in Savannah and was more than slightly shocked at lack of modesty I was allowed.

Prairie said...

I bet you do. Knowing the experience you are talking about, I gotta say, there is a difference between liberating yourself and having someone "liberate" you. hahaha