Friday, March 04, 2011

Yummy Sourdough

So I've had this book (The Tassajara Bread Book) on my self for several years now. One that I swiped from my mother one Christmas when I wanted to make braided Christmas bread (beautiful and delicious). Recently, I noticed it and thought it would be nice to have fresh, homemade bread in the house like we did so much as a kid. I flipped through the very stained and used pages until I found the recipe for a sourdough starter. It is actually really easy, but I have included a few tips along with the recipe.

To make the starter you need:
1 tablespoon of dry yeast (I just use the instant yeast packets you can get at the store)
2 1/2 cups warm water
2 teaspoons of sugar or honey (I have made it with both and there isn't much difference)
2 1/2 cups flour (I use a white/whole wheat mix...1 1/2 cup white, 1 cup whole wheat)
Mix the ingredients in a large container (glass or ceramic with lots of room for the starter to rise). The book makes a note to avoid metal containers and I would advise against plastic as it is a growing microrganisim. Let the starter ferment for 5 days, stirring daily. I leave set it in a corner of my kitchen with a clean wash rag over it to keep out dust. My mother suggested that I put mine crock in a bowl or put something under it to catch the mess if it over flows. Glad I listened...over flow everywhere the first time. The second time, I was able to watch it more throughout the first day so any time I saw it getting close to the overflow stage, I just stirred it back down. Ultimately, you are looking for a thick mud-like consistency.
Once the fermentation is done, you are ready to make bread. You will use a portion of this starter and replenish it so that you always have a starter going. Keep it in your fridge (after the initial fermentation) and you can store it basically forever, although it is suggested to use it at least once a week.

To make the bread:
The initial recipe makes 4 large loaves and I mean LARGE. I have cut it down to make 3-4 loaves that are of moderate size. I listed the original figures in parenthesis.

The night before you plan to make your bread -
Take a LARGE bowl and add 1-2 cups of your starter to 4 (9) cups of flour (the recipe calls for all whole wheat - I mix mine with 3 cups white and 1 cup wheat) without mixing. Then mix it while slowly adding 3 (7 1/2) cups of lukewarm water, a few cups at a time. You will mix until you get a thick pasty batter. It should look somewhat liquidy, but thick. Make sure you have mixed out any large lumps and then let it sit overnight. Again, I cover mine with a cloth because I live in the dust capitol of the world. : )

The next morning -
Your mix should look like a sponge with lots of bubbly holes. Remove 1-2 cups of the sponge and add to your starter. Mix it together and put it in the fridge for next time. Sorry, I kind of forgot to get a picture of this.

Now fold in 1 cup oil, 2 tablespoons salt, and 4 - 4 1/2 (10-12) cups flour (again, the recipe uses all whole wheat but I use a combo of 3 c white and 1 c wheat). When dough comes easily away from the bowl, but is still sticky, remove it and place on a floured bread board. I start with a wooden spoon, but by about the second cup of flour I swtich to my had mixer that has bread mixers. I use it on low.
Knead for 5 minutes, adding more flour as necessary...you will definiately need to add flour as you go. Once in a consistency that you like, cut it into sections and make your loaves. Place each loaf in an oiled bread pan (I only have 2 so I usuall end up with at least 1 on a cookie sheet - sometimes I make it more round so I can use it like a bread bowl). Slit the tops and allow 2 hours for the dough to rise.
I had a special helper on this batch...she asked to wear this nightgown (that BTW no longer fits me so has become part of her dress-up collection). When I put it on her, she said, "I now pretty princess." So Princess Wee One worked gave a loving touch to her little section of dough...I'm sure it will be delicious.

After risen, brush the tops with water and place in pre-heated 425 degree oven for 20 minutes. Brush tops with water again and reduce heat to 375 degrees. Bake for 40 minutes. The originial recipe says to bake for 1 - 1 1/4 hours. Mine is usually done in about 40 mins. The tops should be a nice brown.

Remove from oven and let cool. I use produce bags to store my bread. If making a large batch, you will want to find friends to share it with.

2 comments:

Paula said...

This is BEAUTIFUL! So I'm thinking I'll make chicken fried steak and you will bring the bread.

Proverbs 31 Wannabe said...

Your bread looks so yummy! I'm thinking of making more this weekend. Looks like you had a cute little helper there too!